Thursday, 15 August 2013

Nail polish swatches: Essie, OPI Etude House & Tony Moly!

I feel absolutely terrible for not having blogged in over a week and I hope I haven't been forgotten about :( How have you wonderful ladies been? The main reasons for my disappearance would be due to uni (poor excuse) and getting caught up with Fashion King, a random Kdrama that I decided to watch. Initially I enjoyed watching it due to the fashion design storyline but like all Kdramas it got too cliche - girl loves boy, boy likes girl, second boy likes girl, second girl gets jealous... and the cycle continues for a couple of episodes. The final episode was also a terrible way to end the show and it left me utterly confused. Has anyone else watched Fashion King before, and please recommend me some nice recent shows to watch!

For the past week I have actually been meaning to post up swatches of the nail polishes from my beauty haul. I had all my bottles out, all the swatches done but I never got around to taking photos even though I would say to myself "I'll do it tomorrow, I'll do it tomorrow...". Does that happen to you as well or am I simply that lazy? Well regardless, here I am to finally share them with you! :D

 
Essie - Mint Candy Apple | Essie - Big Spender | OPI - Polka.com
This was my first time trying out Essie polishes and I understand why people love them so much. The shades they offer are so pretty, formula is so easily to apply, and you only need one coat for it to be opaque! It's super creamy and also has a glossy finish. When I first laid eyes on OPI's Polka.com I knew I had to get it - the colour combination is so pretty and you can never get bored of glitter polishes with a clear base!


White Base | Don't Say It - Yellow It! | The Time Is Pow! | Pink Outside The Box | Blue It Out Of Proportion | Top Coat
I didn't do any swatches of the white base but it is used to intensify the colour. It's not noticeable in my photos but on the yellow shade I added a top coat to try show you the difference in finish. Without a top coat, the finish is sort of matte but adding the top coat provided will make it glossy. The formula is a bit runny and sheer but two coats is enough to be opaque!


OPI - Can't Let Go | Etude House - PPP502 Halloween Day | Etude House - WH901 Cotton Candy Kiss
Applying Can't Let Go was the first time I have tried textured nail polish ever! The colour is super gorgeous but I might be bias in saying that since purple is my favourite colour. I'm still not entirely used to the texture since it reminds me of sand paper but not as rough... However it's easier to remove than glitter polishes (which amazes me!). I have not tried the Etude House glitter polishes yet but Cotton Candy Kiss looks super cute when swatched! What I dislike about it though is the glitters are quite sparse so I recommend trying to fish the glitters our before applying.


Tony Moly - Milkyway
Main reason why I bought this was because it looks like a dupe of Revlon's Whimsical and Deborah Lippman's Glitter in the Air! Unsurprisingly, it's super sheer and you need at least four coats for an opaque look. Luckily it doesn't feel thick or disgusting on the nails even after that many coats. Another alternative is to use a coloured base coat and apply this on top, which is what I've done on the right using Essie's Mint Candy Apply.

So that's all the nail polishes I gathered from my trip! I have two photos from my instagram of me wearing OPI's Can't Let Go and Tony Moly's Milkyway on my nails over in the sidebar if you want to have a look :)

Have you tried any of these nail polishes? Which one is your favourite?

Enjoy the rest of your week! xx

21 comments:

  1. So many pretty shades. The OPI polishes look stunning and perfect for the upcoming Spring/Summer period! Oh and I love Can't Let Go and Polka.com - good choices!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The OPI Polka. com and Can't let go look very pretty. I really should get myself more OPI nail polishes. I only have 1 at the moment. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely love glittery nail polishes :) x

    www.anacelinelabod.blogspot.de

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the TonyMoly Milkyway is pretty c: love
    the intense color by OPI as well c:
    Xx http://icepandora.blogspot.coom

    ReplyDelete
  5. Im definitely an Essie addict. Their brush is the best out to get the perfect finish. Thanks for the swatches! xx

    www.ferdies-place.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those OPIs are SO bright! O_O I want them all! Haha...
    I've only tried one essie polish. I really like the opaque color, but is it just me or is the brush just a little too thin for my tastes?

    ReplyDelete
  7. lovely colors! i especially like milkway. i picked something up from forever21 but they quality was not that great (what do i expect from $1 nailpolish)

    ReplyDelete
  8. So many fun, cheery shades! Love all of the glitters and Mint Candy Apple is one of my favourites :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I normally wouldn't choose neon colours but I love how they look swatched!

    ReplyDelete
  10. OPI has really gorgeous colours! Downside is they're a bit pricey I guess :/

    ReplyDelete
  11. I know, I've been wanting to buy the DL or Revlon versions but I found this first when I was shopping!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think I prefer the Essence brushes more but I do agree the Essie brushes are excellent! Thank you for reading :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. They are neon shades to begin with :P
    And yes!! I prefer wide brushes so it is a bit thin for my liking too

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh that's a shame. I'm always skeptical about cheap polishes but my favourite cheap brand for nail polish is Essence! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. It is! I love using it over different colours and it's just sooo pretty :3

    ReplyDelete
  16. I was instantly gravitated towards Mint Candy Apple when I found the Essie polishes! Absolutely love the colour.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I really like all the colors you picked! The Tony Moly one is pretty and yes, I've coveted DL's Glitter in the Air, too! I'll give this one a try! 4 coater though huh? Looks so pretty, still! Thanks for all these recos, Louise! You have a great eye!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I really like the tony moly and the Essie polishes! Big Spender is so perfect for the fall!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for making my day, beautiful!
Don't forget to leave a link to your blog so I can check it out :)