Friday, 22 February 2013

Cover up your phone! [TIPS]

I've been putting off this post for a while now because it's not beauty related. As some of you might know, I work as a Retail Sales Consultant at a phone accessories store. I get customers who buy phone covers just to bling up the phone and those who want super protection for their phone. Today I wanted to share with everyone my advice for buying phone accessories although some info you might already know.

If you are wondering why I am posting this, it's because I recently purchased a new phone cover on Ebay. I paid $37 which is a bit pricy for a phone cover but it's made of PU leather (really good quality) and the design is really cute. This is from a Korean brand, Happymori, and they have really cute cases and mainly cater for iPhones and Samsung devices.

[cr: Happymori]

So here are the general basics of phone accessories:

PHONE COVERS
Hard Plastic / Metal
  • Very thin
  • Come in a variety of designs - can even customise
  • More prone to breaking if dropped and does not absorb impact
  • Generally just covers the back of the phone
Silicon / Rubber
  • A bit bulkier than normal back covers
  • Does not break unless you rip it??
  • Covers a bit around to the front of the phone
  • Absorbs some impact if you drop your phone
  • Generally plain designs
Heavy Duty
  • Very bulky
  • Normally silicon material on the inside and a hard shell back
  • Absorbs the impact when you drop your phone
  • Some cover the screen, others just cover a bit around to the front
  • More on the expensive side
  • Designs are generally ugly or boring in my opinion

Flip / Booklet
  • Some are bulky, some are really thin
  • Some may have card slots - convient to put credit cards, train tickets etc.
  • Protects front and back of the phone
  • May be inconvenient to constantly open & close the cover
  • Slightly more expensive
  • Generally PU leather material
Skins
  • Does not protect the phone when dropped
  • Scratch resistant protection
  • Very unique designs
  • Basically a sticker on your phone...
  • May or may not be reusable depending on how it adheres to the phone

SCREEN PROTECTORS
Crystal Clear
  • Screen will be clear
  • Not anti-fingerprint or anti-scratch regardless of what packaging claims
Antiglare (matte)
  • Slightly reduces the screen's clarity and brightness
  • Anti-fingerprint and scratches are less visible than clear
Privacy
  • Screen won't be visible at an angle 
  • Slightly reduces the screen's clarity and brightness
Mirror
  • Mirror / reflective finish
  • Great for those who want to look at themselves
  • Causes glare in sunlight - may hurt your eyes

Of course there are plenty more different types of phone covers but these are the main ones. Some great brands that I often recommend or sell to my customers are Incipio, iFace Mall, Spigen (SGP), Incase, Otterbox, Lifeproof. I personally like phone covers from Korean brands because they're really good quality and have cute designs, so I definitely recommend Happymori. 

If you're at a store looking at phone cases, be sure to try them on! Sometimes they don't fit correctly or the buttons don't match up etc. As for applying screen protectors, you can search on Youtube how people apply them as I use the same techniques.

I hope this post helps you when you're planning to buy any phone accessories in the future :) If you have any questions, post them in the comments below!

10 comments:

  1. This is such an useful post!
    Mobilephones are indispensable accessories :)

    Pluiedevelours

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh, this case is so cute! o:
    I've heard of Happymori before, and wow~ *A*
    Definitely keeping an eye out for these cases. o: They look so convenient!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a great post x

    Www.hannahheartss.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice post! I have the most basic case right now.

    http://initialed.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. These phone covers are so cute! I love these colors. Makes me want to get an iphone now. lol. I wouldn't know which one to get since they all look so cute!

    love,
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  6. these phone covers are really cute! It makes me want an iphone, (which I don't have .. yet)
    If I do get one, I would want the heavy duty case. Despite being bulky, I am very clumsy so I need something strong!

    http://www.mybrokeneggshells.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the tips! Those phone cases look really cute, I'm definitely going to check out that website :)

    http://www.pursiko.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. You work at a phone accessories store?! Thats so awesome! I love cases and charms! Do you have an iphone or samsung galaxy? XD

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm a complete phone case addict, I love them all from tacky to classy to artsy! Great post x

    January Girl ♥ Nails Inc + Eylure Giveaway ♥

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for making my day, beautiful!
Don't forget to leave a link to your blog so I can check it out :)